For me, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250 ohm) are one of the best studio headphones that cost lass less than $250. The DT 770 Pro has a closed acoustic form and is full-size. This model has 3 different versions, and each version has different impedance:
- The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 32 Ohm has a lower impedance for cell phones and other low power portable devices.
- The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm is for Hi-Fi players or low tier sound cards.
- The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm is for powerful devices like Hi-Fi players, amps, high-quality sound cards, and studio equipment.
I’ve used many studio and quasi-studio headphones. And to me, The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO seems to be the best for what you’re spending. They provide a detailed and even sound, a high level of comfort, are made from durable material and they’ve got a German “accent” in their design – just what I need!
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Review
Features & Characteristics
- Sound frequency: 5-35000 GHz.
- The harmonic distortion is only 0.05%.
- The maximal input power is 100 mW.
- The impedances are 32, 80, and 250 Ohms, respectively.
- The sensitivity is 96 dB.
- The acoustic form is closed and full-sized.
- Weight of 250 g.
- The cable usually is 1.5 meters but has an extension to 3 meters long.
- Specific qualities: a gilded plug, Bass Reflex technology with an increased lower frequency.
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones.
- A soft case for movement and storage.
- A 6.3 mm jack converter.
The DT 770 PRO’s sound is even, transparent and detailed. This is a result of several factors:
- The closed acoustic form doesn’t allow the low frequency sounds to escape. For example, in the half-open (880 Pro) or the closed (990 Pro) models, the bass and the middle frequencies aren’t heard, and everything sounds different.
- The high-quality membranes from Beyerdynamic are made for the precise transfer of sound with minimal leakage (the amplitude-frequency response without any noticeable loses).
- Only a powerful source can power the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO – A good Hi-Fi player, a high-quality sound card, or a separate amp could do it. Using a high-quality and powerful device, you can obtain a natural and detailed sound that’s nice and interesting to listen to and work with.
These headphones were primarily developed with the help of sound directors and designers (it’s not unusual to see these headphones in recording studios or radio stations).
Durability and life span
The headphones are made in Germany, and the assembly and materials are high-quality. The cable is braided, and the connection is strong. The headphones’ body is made from metal, the headband is leather, and the headphone earmuffs have a nice velvet covering.
The headband and headphone fasteners are replaceable – This makes the DT 770 PRO almost unkillable!
They don’t appear to be anything special when you first look at them, but the classic, round and large headphones with their braided cord definitely look like studio headphones. The headphones have a bold covering (it imitates leather) and don’t gather fingerprints. The plastic is robust and even if you somehow manage to scratch it, you won’t be able to see the scratch marks thanks to the durable covering.
The headphones don’t look luxurious or trendy and don’t have any particular designer beauty. They’re made for professionals who don’t care about the appearance, just the sound.
270 grams isn’t much for metal. But since they aren’t heavy, they sit nice on your head, thanks to the large headphones and soft headband. The headphones completely cover the ears and the headband doesn’t cause any discomfort, as the weight is evenly distributed.
And these headphones press enough on the head to find the goldilocks zone between sound isolation and comfort.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Price
The cost of the headphones is from $200-250 (depending on the impedance), which is quite cheap for professional equipment.
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones have a clean sound for monitoring and sound work. They’re the best I’ve used for the price of less than $200, and I recommend them if you need a clean and pleasant sound.
- Natural and balanced sound. This one positive outweighs all the negatives.
- The exchangeable headphones and covering on the headband.
- They’re made in Germany and have a two-year international warranty!
- They have a robust damage-proof base.
- The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO has an excellent appearance for classic lovers.
- They completely cover the ears, and the headphones don’t cause discomfort even when worn for a long time.
- The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO doesn’t fold well, so they aren’t suitable for travel since they take up a significant amount of storage space.
- The cord is non-removable.